are you a superhero?
Studies show that when you see yourself as a superhero, you are more likely to feel motivated to share your expertise as a volunteer! So, here you are- YOU as the volunteering superhero!
The night hath not yet come; we are not quite cut off from labor by the failing light; something remains for us to do or dare;
Tips for volunteers and people that manage volunteers
Most volunteers have a motivator- a REASON that they decide to volunteer
Reaons to volunteer include the benefits to the volunteer (health, happiness, networking), benefits to the cause, and benefits to the organization, a friend of family member
Questions for a volunteer manager to consider:
What does the volunteer want to do? Provide diverse opportunities
- Are they convenient ways to volunteer? for example, do you provide the option to volunteer online with long or short time comittments?
- Find out how your volunteers want to be recognized. For instance, some might want a big party and shout outs, while others might like a basic coupon or gift card
Relax * Unwind * Be Mindful
Practice Positive Psychology
plan your perfect day
Make a plan to live your 'ideal' day and live it. For instance, you might want to wake up early, have breakfast at your favorite cafe, go to the beach... The plan for your ideal day can be anything that makes you feel good! Just plan your perfect day, pick the date, and live it!
take a mini vacation
Set aside 30-60 min each day to take a mini vacation. You might want to just take a nap, take a bath, go for walk. Just make sure to set aside time each day just for you and your mini vacation!
be your own big sister/brother
write a letter to yourself as an older sibling providing you advice. What would you tell yourself? What are your current goals, your future goals? What steps do you need to take to get there?
Are you a volunteer?
Answer these five questions and we will give you a shout out! Send a link to your video or written response to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Who are you?
- What did you do to volunteer?
- Why do you volunteer?
- What is your favorite thing about volunteering?
- What is something you would like everyone to know about you?
Ideas to support and recognize your volunteers
- Give your volunteers a small gift, coupons, discounts
- Provide a handwritten thank you, or thank them in person
- Have an annual award ceremony online or, invite them to a reconition ceremony and give an award certficate
- 'Promote' volunteers, give them more responsibility; encourage volunteers to develop skills from strenghts
- Offer flexible opportunities- volunteering online, anytime, let them choose the work they will do
- Provide volunteers with letters of recommendations and 'shout outs' on social media
- Invite volunteers to board meetings, involve them more in your decision processes
- Provide clear and direct evidence of how your volunteer has helped
- Photograph and videotape volunteers- highlight and feature their work in newsletters and in other ways
- Use a professional volunteer management program
- Ask for feedback from volunteers; get to know them
- Provide food and drink when volunteers are 'in the office'